- The Australian cotton industry will undertake sustainability reporting every five years against agreed targets.
- Independent assessments of sustainability and environmental performance will be undertaken every 10 years.
- Australian cotton’s sustainability work and myBMP program continue to be recognised internationally.
The Australian cotton industry has been managing on-farm sustainability for decades, underpinned by investments in research and development, the industry’s Best Management Practices program (myBMP), grower adoption of improved practices and innovation, and active participation in global sustainability programs.
Today, Australian cotton growers produce more cotton on less land, with more efficient water use and with less impact on the environment than ever before.
Our vision is for Australia to be a global leader in sustainable cotton production. Through Cotton Australia and the Cotton Research and Development Corporation, the industry has committed to undertaking:
- Sustainability reporting every five years against agreed targets (set over five-yearly intervals from 2019 to 2029 to align with the Australian Cotton Industry 2029 Vision).
- Stakeholder engagement on our sustainability and opportunities for improvement, including via a formal stakeholder forum.
- Independent assessments of sustainability and environmental performance every 10 years.
A Sustainability Working Group oversees and manages the delivery of these commitments and is comprised of representatives from: Cotton Australia, the Cotton Research and Development Corporation (CRDC), CottonInfo, the Australian Cotton Shippers Association, and a grower representative.
The industry’s sustainability work and myBMP program continue to be recognised by an increasing number of global sustainability programs:
- Better Cotton Initiative (BCI), with Cotton Australia a Strategic Partner. The myBMP Standard has been mapped and aligns with the BCI Standard.
- CottonLEADS – Cotton Australia’s partnership with the US Cotton Foundation.
- Partnership for Sustainable Textiles – myBMP is accredited by the partnership.
- International Trade Centre (ITC) Sustainability Map, first published in March 2019.
- The Textile Exchange – myBMP data is included in Preferred Textile reports.
- Forum for the Future, CottonUP Guide - a practical guide to sourcing more sustainable cotton, with myBMP included as a sourcing option.