Applications are sought for a Cotton Grower with Hutchinson Ag in Central Queensland.
This position is permanent with competitive remuneration package paid on your skillset and level of experience and includes:-
• Generous salary (hourly rate paid significantly above Award based on experience) + Super
• A work vehicle is supplied
• A choice of 3 and 4 bedroom A/C houses with electricity provided on farm.
• Single person's share accommodation is also available ie / fully furnished / air conditioning / power
• Employment security
• On the job training and mentorship provided
This is a family run mixed farming business located on the Dawson River, 25 km from Moura or 200 kms south west of Rockhampton QLD. Our business is of 8258 Ha over 4 farms. Some 2200 Ha is under irrigation and further large-scale irrigation development is being undertaken.
Currently the irrigation cropping, is principally cotton and depending on season, grain crops of corn, chickpea, wheat and mung beans. Alongside of this we run a 1,100 breeder herd of Droughtmaster / Santa beef cattle crossed with Angus and Charolais.
The combination of crops and cattle provides a diverse range of duties from irrigation development to crop and cattle production.
We are proud of our collaborative, innovative workplace utilising modern machinery, equipment and techniques to develop new irrigation fields for production of high quality crops. Hutchinson Ag is a Best Management Practice (BMP) accredited farm. We work with the local school in promoting and introducing students to irrigation development and cotton farming.
About the role
We are seeking a mechanically-minded Cotton Grower who desires an opportunity to work within the agricultural sector focusing primarily on row cropping and to a lesser degree, beef cattle.
The farm uses many advanced technologies alongside many traditional systems to help us achieve our farming goals which makes it an interesting place to work. You will be exposed to the application of cutting edge technology and innovations regularly.
Previous experience working in an irrigation operation and operating machinery will be highly regarded, however is not essential. For candidates displaying the right attitude we can teach you.
Current equipment include a range of John Deere and Case tractors, baler pickers and grain harvester, D6, & D7 dozers, excavators and telehandlers
Tasks and responsibilities
• Irrigated cropping systems – eg: plant, spray, irrigate, harvest crops
• Operation of GPS guidance systems, modern machinery, equipment
• Report all necessary work, service or repairs
• Maintain a safe working environment through the correct operation of all tools, specialised plant, equipment and machinery
• Basic welding and fabrication
• Basic mechanical repairs/maintenance of all farming plant, equipment and machinery
• Chemical handling
• Minimal cattle work - motorised stock work [no horses/dogs]
• Maintain water facilities
• Perform general everyday farming duties
• Chemical handling certificates an advantage
• Flexible and available to work hours which may vary to meet weather conditions and cropping cycles - weekend work will be required at times
Skills and experience
• Farming – a minimum of 3 years broadacre and irrigated cropping / machinery operation experience
• Mechanically minded and/or demonstrated experience in a similar role
• Hold traditional values in high regard ie: honesty, respect and recognition
• Well organised, able to prioritise your work, self-motivated, hardworking, team oriented and be self-directed
• Open Driver's Licence (essential), HR/MC drivers licence or willing to obtain an advantage
• Ability to automate irrigation systems and pumps including developing coding and electronics to control the system
• Collect elevation data and utilise this to design new irrigation layouts using multiplane software
• Operate lathes and program CNC machines to manufacture parts
• Operate GPS controlled scraper buckets to implement irrigation designs
• Ability to design pump stations utilising CAD 2D & 3D modelling
Benefits and perks
This role is for an immediate start and candidates may be evaluated prior to the closing date for this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
You will be a valued member of the team and will be involved in planting and harvesting operations as well as a variety of projects around the farm