Cotton LEADS™ is a commitment to the supply and use of responsibly-produced cotton through national and international efforts. It is a partnership between the Australian and US cotton industries.
As part of its Strategic Plan aimed at securing international markets for Australian cotton, Cotton Australia has entered a partnership with the US cotton industry to promote a new project called Cotton LEADS™. The aim is to help us promote cotton globally and take advantage of over 20 years of improvements in sustainability at a time when the world is demanding responsibly-produced cottons. We have a great story to tell, and Cotton LEADS™ will give us an opportunity to promote the Australian cotton industry to parts of the supply chain we've not reached before.
Cotton LEADS™ is open to other producing countries that meet its five core principles:
1. COMMITMENT to the social, environmental, economic and regulatory factors required to produce world-class cotton.
2. RECOGNITION that sustainable and responsible cotton production requires continual improvement, investment, research, and sharing of best practices information among growers and industry.
3. UNDERSTANDING that positive changes in responsible cotton practices will have the most impact when implemented by partnerships among farm, regional, national and international programs.
4. BELIEF in the benefit of working with similar programs that seek to advance responsible and sustainable cotton production in an effort to keep global cotton competitive in world fibre markets.
5. CONFIDENCE in a cotton identification system that ensures traceability from farm to manufacturer.