The Cotton Education Kit (Senior Secondary)
Cotton Australia has two Education Kits available for students and teachers: the Cotton Education Kit (Senior Secondary) and the Cotton Sampler Education Pack.
COTTON EDUCATION KIT
Whether it is ideas for incorporating cotton contexts in the classroom, great teaching resources, or information for a school project, all you need to know about cotton is right here.
Designed for teachers and high school students, this kit is linked to dynamic resources such as video, websites, research, case studies, lessons and units. It also has syllabus links, with more to come.
DOWNLOAD COTTON EDUCTION KIT (Senior Secondary)
You can download the full Education Kit (Senior Secondary) as one document (33MB PDF) - CLICK HERE to download
Users with slow internet connections may find it easier to download the document by chapter from the following links - [note: these files work best if they are downloaded as PDFs, rather than viewed online]:
- Contents, Introduction and Curriculum Links (2MB PDF)
- Chapter 1: The Australian Cotton Industry (3MB PDF)
- Chapter 2: A sustainable Cotton Industry (5MB PDF)
- Chapter 3: The History of Cotton (2MB PDF)
- Chapter 4: The Cotton Plant (2MB PDF)
- Chapter 5A: How Cotton Is Grown (1.8MB PDF)
- Chapter 5B: How Cotton Is Grown cont'd (5.9MB PDF)
- Chapter 6: The Business of Cotton Farming (4MB PDF)
- Chapter 7: Processing from Gin to Fabric (4MB PDF)
- Chapter 8: Cotton as a Competitive Commodity (2MB PDF)
- Chapter 9: Cotton as a Consumer Product (2MB PDF)
- Chapter 10: Cotton Careers (1 MB PDF)
- Links to additional information and teaching resources (418KB PDF)
This is a valuable resource for the study of fibres we produce for use in the technologies curriculum. It also has relevance for the Geography, History, Science, and Business/Economics curriculums. Chapter 1 is particularly relevant for the content description in year 9 Geography about the ways the production of fibre has altered some biomes. Chapter 2 is particularly relevant for the content description in year 9 Geography about the environmental, economic and technological factors that influence crop yields. Chapter 3 is particularly relevant for the content description in year 5 History about the expansion of farming. Chapter 4 is particularly relevant for the content description in year 4 Science about life cycles. Chapter 5 is particularly relevant for the content description in year 6 Science about the growth and survival of living things being affected by the physical conditions of their environment and is relevant for the content description in year 6 Science about scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions used to solve problems. It is also relevant for the content description in year 7 Science about water being an important resource that cycle through the environment. Chapter 6 is particularly relevant for the content description in year 6 Business and Economics about the role and motives of businesses/producers in providing goods and services.
COTTON SAMPLER EDUCATION PACK
This sampler pack is available to teachers and students. It includes:
- A seed planting kit
- How to Grow a Pair of Jeans brochure
- Pocket Guide to Cotton brochure
- Cotton samples
For your FREE Cotton Sampler Education kit, please fill out the contact form at this link, making sure to include a message requesting the kit and your correct mailing address.
© Cotton Australia 2013. This material is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 4.0 International License (CC BY CC BY-NC 4)